Sunday 26 September 2010

Material and spiritual planes: are they in conflict?


Funny, someone told me just that the other day that I really sound like a monk who lives in the mountains on a different plan
e of existence. To which I replied that I may embrace lofty views and spiritual pursuits but I still enjoy my tailored pants, swish shoes, fancy dinners, nice travels and of course, some cock.

Those two planes of existence do not conflict with each other at all. Au contraire, they just influence each other in a very profound way and they are not separate, they exist in the same time and place, like the material surface and the spiritual depth of events, things, people and their actions. They both are important, they can't exist with one another, but just on their own they are quite meaningless too. Embracing both gives you true wisdom.

When you just see the material, you miss out on the meaning of what you see, because the meaning of things and events is never on the surface. But if you only see the meaning but never embrace the material, you end up with spiritual arrogance, that denies the beauty and enjoy of God's creation. Both extremities are detrimental.

No comments: