Monday 19 October 2009

Random acts of kindness in the City


I
don't know whether the countryside has ever been the veritable repository of virtue and good manners or whether only in the good olden days people used to be nice to each other. One thing for sure, city life does not make folks any softer. The stress and frustration of urban rat-race seem to do everybody's heads in.

S
o much the more fun it is to observe how people react to random acts of kindness. A bit every day - I try to make it a regular practice. A smile, a nice word,a gesture of courtesy.

M
any are incredulous. Their immediate reaction is suspicion. I guess they think I want something from them.

Yet many are impervious. The callous around their hearts protects them from hurting and good feelings likewise.

For a few, it does not register at all. Too busy, perhaps. It's alright, receiving gratitude is not the purpose of this exercise.

I am so happy though that there are enough souls out there whose first unconscious reaction to a smile is a smile. There is hope for this weird protein-based species.


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hey Artour,

This is nice to read. I try and do the same - try and do some small thing for someone. This morning, I helped a young man to find his way to the tourist help centre in Amsterdam - the poor guy had lost his passport and money.

Many people don't even notice though.